Captain Morgan rum price for its original spiced variety is about $8 for a 200 ml bottle. Its relatively good quality makes this Jamaican brand one of the best-selling rums in the world. Captain Morgan is manufactured by Diageo, a manufacturer of premium alcoholic beverages around the globe.
If you drink, chances are that you have enjoyed Captain Morgan rum at least once in your life.
Captain Morgan Rum Price
|Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum||750ml||$14|
|Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum||1L||$23|
|Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum||1.75L||$24|
|Captain Morgan Watermelon Smash||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Apple Smash||750ml||$22|
|Captain Morgan Cannon Blast||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Loconut||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Coconut Rum||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Jack-o’blast||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Pineapple Rum||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Grapefruit Rum||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum||750ml||$24.50|
|Captain Morgan 100 Proof Spiced Rum||750ml||$24|
|Captain Morgan White Rum||750ml||$17|
|Captain Morgan Private Stock Rum||750ml||$25|
|Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Rum||750ml||$10.75|
Is Captain Morgan Rum good?
A connoisseur of strong sugarcane juice rum, accustomed to drinking it in its pure form, will likely not choose this brand. Captain Morgan does not have that depth of taste, that fragrant bouquet and that long finish that is reminiscent of premium rums.
However, today most people buy rum in order to use it as a base for making cocktails. And for such purposes, the products of the brand Captain Morgan are great.
Indeed, when tasting cocktails, the drinker does not feel much difference between a drink mixed with expensive elite rum and a cocktail made with Captain Morgan rum.
When there is no difference, why pay more?
Is Captain Morgan Rum Sweet?
Rum is made by fermenting Sugarcane juice or Molasses. Hence it usually possess varying degrees of sweetness and warmth in both the aroma and taste.
Often warming spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cassia bark as well as caramel are added to the rum. This lends further sweetness to its overall taste.
Most Captain Morgan rums are very mildly sweet.
Types of Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan has more than 15 different rums or ready made rum based drinks in the market. Below is the list with small descriptions.
- Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum (35%) is a rum of golden color with a mild sweetish taste and vanilla-caramel aroma.
- Captain Morgan Cannon Blast (35%) is a drink with a pronounced citrus aroma and amber color. The bottle is made in the form of a cannonball, the label of which depicts the famous Captain Morgan. But under ultraviolet light, a skeleton appears with a smiling skull.
- Captain Morgan LocoNut (20%) has an even white color, thanks to coconut milk. The bottle is made in the form of a coconut.
- Captain Morgan Coconut Rum (35%) is a white rum with the aroma and taste of coconut and tropical fruits.
- Captain Morgan Jack-O’Blast (30%) has a light golden hue, but is only available for Halloween. The bottle is made in the form of a pumpkin, and the taste resembles an American pumpkin pie with spices and ginger.
- Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum (35%) is a white rum with a vanilla flavor that gradually reveals the characteristic notes of cinnamon. This drink is infused exclusively on the pods of vanilla and Chinese cinnamon (aka cassia bark).
- Captain Morgan Pineapple Rum (35%) is a white rum with a light taste and aroma of pineapple.
- Captain Morgan Spiced Black (47.3%) is a black rum with a caramel-spicy taste that is balanced by the astringent bitterness of burnt oak, which makes the rum look like aged whiskey. If you like this rum, you may also be interested in Kraken rum.
- Captain Morgan Grapefruit Rum (35%) is a white rum with the taste and aroma of red grapefruit.
- Captain Morgan 100 Proof Spiced Rum (50%) is a strong golden rum with a rich vanilla flavor.
- Captain Morgan White Rum (40%) has a clear color and a fruity-vanilla flavor. White rum is aged for about one year in white oak barrels.
- Captain Morgan Private Stock Rum (40%) is a young rum with a deep amber color that is aged for two years in oak bourbon barrels. And then insists on spicy spices.
- Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea (17%) is a cocktail of golden color which includes: rum, gin, whiskey, vodka and Triple Sec liqueur.
- Captain Morgan 1671 has not only an interestingly designed bottle, but also a complex taste that combines the flavors of bread, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon, almonds, molasses and cherries. These are complemented by notes of pepper and ginger.
- Captain Morgan Lime Bite (35%) is based on traditional light rum. With the help of flavorings, the drink has a pronounced taste and smells of lime.
- Captain Morgan Parrot Bay (21%) is another group of ready-made rum cocktails. Bananas, coconuts, passion fruit, strawberries, pineapple and lime are the different flavors available.
History of Captain Morgan Rum
In the beginning of the 20th century, Canadian Samuel Bronfman was one of the most successful alcohol tycoons. He traveled the world and bought all the interesting brands of alcohol to create an assortment in his own company. And in 1924, together with his brother, he moved to Canada one of the distilleries that closed in America and began its own production.
After 4 years of excellent work, the brothers bought the successful Canadian company Joseph E. Seagram & Sons. And the company got the name Seagram.
To find the best flavor combinations, Bronfman went to Jamaica, where in 1944 he bought Long Pond, an old distillery. There he tasted the tart and spicy rum infused with herbs and botanicals by regular customers of the Levy distillery. It is to their merit that the world saw the non-standard taste of an otherwise traditional drink.
The work of marketers was successful, because they came up with the story that the new rum was made according to the old recipe of the famous pirate Captain Morgan.
In 2001, Diageo acquired the rights to produce Captain Morgan rum and relocated to the UK.
How to drink Captain Morgan Rum
There are several ways to drink Captain Morgan rum properly.
- Neat – this method involves the enjoyment of a tart, strong taste, and requires some strength of mind (and throat). Many rum connoisseurs believe that there can simply be no other answer to the question of how to drink Captain Morgan. During meals, it is recommended to use vodka glasses as a container for rum, and if alcohol is set aside for dessert then cognac glasses or thick-walled round “old-fashioned” glasses.
- With ice (aka on the rocks) – this option is preferred by those who do not want to “spoil” the taste of pure rum with any additives, but cannot withstand the strength and astringency of a pure drink. The ice will not only cool it, but also soften the somewhat bitter taste due to spices and strength of alcohol. Some connoisseurs argue that the addition of ice will affect the identity of the rum, and this will be a completely different variety, as the taste harmony is broken and the bouquet of aromas is diluted.
- Cocktails – the most popular version of the use of Captain Morgan rum by young people. Naturally, the true taste of the drink is lost after the mixing. It is worth adding even the most neutral flavor to it, but often any experiment is worth it. Here you can give free leash to your imagination and try a variety of combinations, additives in the form of syrups, fruits, spices, other alcoholic beverages.
Alternatives to Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan can be replaced with good alcohol of similar category. The “Bacardi rum”, which also has a lot of spice notes makes for a good replacement. You can take Bacardi’s white rum for cocktails, or Bacardi black if you prefer to drink rum neat. Or try a “Havana Club”, which traditionally competes with both these brands in popularity and quality.
Captain Morgan Rum Price Comparison
|Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum||750ml||$14|
|Kraken Black Spiced Rum||750ml||$19.50|
|Bacardi Superior White Rum||750ml||$12.50|
|Malibu Coconut Rum||750ml||$17.50|