Did you know that the month of February is celebrated as The National Grapefruit Month in the US? And did you know that we’ve got just the right recipe for you to celebrate it? Yes, we are talking about Grapefruit Margaritas. Another popular variation to the classic lime margarita, which is equally simple to make and provides a tarty-citrusy spin and a beautiful pink color to the original drink.
Grapefruit is a relatively newer fruit, found only in mid 18th century and comes from the citrus family.
While limes and oranges are popularly preferred, the grapefruit too has made its own niche among the citrus lovers. The fruit goes really well with alcohol, especially ones like tequila, vodka and whiskey, and adds a punch of its tart taste to it.
- Tequila – 1½ ounce or 44 ml (Prefer using Blanco or reposado tequilas)
- Triple Sec – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Lime Juice – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Grapefruit juice – 1- 1½ ounces
- Sweetener – 1 tablespoon
- Ice cubes and grapefruit slices for garnish
- Extract the juice from the grapefruit if you don’t already have it. You can do it in a juicer or cut the grapefruit in half crosswise with a sharp knife and squeeze it with your hands.
- Place the juice and all the other ingredients – the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, sweetener of your choice and some ice cubes in a shaker and shake until cold.
- Fine strain into a salty-rimmed margarita glass. You can also use pink sea salt to go with the color of grapefruit juice.
- Add more ice cubes and use grapefruit wedges to garnish.
Which Tequila To Use
Using the right tequila for your favorite version is going to enhance the flavors of the drink and enrichen your experience of drinking it. Here we make a few recommendations of tequilas which you may use for this recipe.
a. Espolòn Blanco Tequila – $26.99 (750ml)
b. Sparkle Donkey Silver Tequila – $33.99 (750ml)
c. Don Julio Reposado – $58.99 (750ml)
We have two additional tips that can spice up your already exotic grapefruit margarita. You may choose one or both of them, as per your taste preference.
Tip 1 – Add some jalapeño slices to the cocktail shaker along with other ingredients. The thinly sliced jalapeño can be crushed using a muddler. Or you can simply make the jalapeno margarita.
Tip 2 – You may also use chili powder along with salt to dress the rim of your glass using lime juice.
This unique touch to the classic margarita recipe will make your margarita unique and savory. It could serve as your happy hour drink, your late night party drink, a chilled out afternoon drink or just make one pitcher of the drink for your MLB night with friends. Whatever the occasion, this cocktail will surely make it a thousand times more memorable!
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes