Being on a diet should not keep you away from one of the most loved cocktails. When almost every other of your favorite food is getting a keto version, why not your favorite cocktail? The Keto Margaritas, also called Skinny Margaritas, are low in carbs and sugar content as opposed to the classic margarita. The high sugar ingredients of the cocktail are substituted with their low-calorie keto counterparts without losing the flavors and the punch of the drink.
- Tequila – 1½ ounces or 44ml
(Blanco or reposado)
- Lime Juice – 1 ounce or 30ml
- Powdered erythritol
- Orange seltzer water or orange zest
- Ice cubes
Understanding your ingredients
Classic Margarita Cocktail uses triple sec, which is an orange-flavored liqueur, to add to the sugar content of the drink. If you’re on a keto diet, it is this ingredient that can cause a problem. But no worries, as always, we’ve got you covered!
As far as the alcohol or the spirit is concerned – tequila has no carb content. Whatever little bit of sugar content is there, comes from the lime juice and that too as much as ½-1 gram of sugar. Therefore, our aim is to avoid any sweetener which may add to the carbs and sugar content of the drink.
Making sure that your ingredients are right is the first step to have a good low-calorie margarita.
Tequila : The spirit has to be a good quality one. You can’t afford to use cheap mixtos tequila which uses a lot of sugar and coloring. Going for good quality 100% De Agave blanco or reposado tequila is a must.
Lime Juice : As we mentioned above, lime juice adds sugar but only about a gram or so. But it is essential to remember that freshly squeezed lime juice is our best option. We cannot go for the bottled lime juice. If you so want to use a bottled version, make sure to use only fresh organic bottled lime juice.
Orange Seltzer : Having a keto margarita does not mean sacrificing the trademark citrusy punch of the drink. Using orange seltzer or even orange flavored sparkling water for our recipe is going to save us from those extra calories.
Sweetener : There are several low-calorie keto sweeteners out there, like Stevia, Sucralose , Xylitol and others. For this cocktail, we’ll be using Powdered Erythritol as our sweetener.
This is it! We’ve made sure we have the right ingredients. It’s time to get to the fun.
- Add tequila, lime juice, orange seltzer, erythritol and ice cubes to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well until cold.
- Fine strain in your salt rimmed margarita glasses. To know more about the salty rim, check out the original margarita recipe.
- Add some ice and garnish with a lemon slice.
Tequila Recommendations :
You can check out the original margarita recipe to choose from a variety of recommended tequila brands and decide which tequila it is that you are going to take off the shelf. We do recommend Espolòn Reposado Tequila ($26.99 for 750ml) or Don Julio Blanco ($51.99 for 750ml) for their smooth texture and the nuanced flavors which they offer without straining your pockets.
ADDITIONAL TIPS :
- Be careful while shaking the ingredients. Overshaking can cause the seltzer to fizz up.
- A keto margarita can be consumed frozen as well. Simply blend these ingredients in a blender instead of shaking it.
- Instead of orange seltzer water, orange zest or a good quality orange extract can also be used. But remember to use it in appropriate quantities.
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes