Preparation Time : 05 minutes Cooking Time :00 minutes Total Time : 05 minutes
The Planter’s Punch is one such cocktail whose popularity is only seeing the uphill with each passing day. This one is also called the dark rum daiquiri and is usually prepared by shaking dark rum, mostly Jamaican, lime juice and simple syrup.
Planter’s Punch is one such drink whose origins are still somewhat ambiguous. Some claim the recipe to have been invented at the Planters Hotel in Charleston while others credit the invention to the Jamaicans. This confusion, however, cannot take one thing away from the cocktail. And that is, as the name suggests, the punch!
- Jamaican Dark Rum – 2oz
- Sugar Syrup – 1 oz
- Lime juice – 1 oz
- Ice Cubes
- A few dashes of Angostura bitters and mint leaf for garnish
- Throw the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake well.
- Strain the cocktail in a coupè glass.
- Garnish with 3-4 dashes of Angostura bitters and mint leaf and serve chilled.
WHICH RUM TO USE:
Here is a list of dark rums we recommend for this recipe. You can also check out our detailed list of a variety of rum recommendations :
- Courage Dark Jamaican Rum ($19.99) comes from Jamaica and is a gluten free spirit with 40% ABV. It is aged heavily in charred oak barrels with caramel added for color and flavour. This one is a full bodied with a robust flavor and hints of spices.
- Plantation Barbados 5 Year Rum ($26.62) comes from Barbados as the name suggests. This one is aged for three to four years and then double matured for one to two years. The result is a round and elegant Barbados Rum and an excellent base for your cocktail.
- Smith and Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum ($32.99) comes from Jamaica and delivers exciting notes of caramelised banana, exotic fruits and spice with an earthy finish. This is a classic Rum with great complexity and depth of flavours.
- Denizen Rum Merchants Reserve 8 year ($32.99) is aged for a minimum of eight years which gives the spirit an unparalleled smoothness. This intense yet funky Rum is a popular choice for many cocktails around the world.
- Mount Gary Rum Black Barrel ($39.99) comes from Barbados with strong notes of butter and dried fruit. Crafted from a blend of intense and aromatic rums, this spirit is matured for 3 to 7 years to give a balanced and sophisticated Rum.
ADDITIONAL TIPS :
- A Punch cocktail is a cocktail which is topped with fruits or fruit juice. You can experiment by mixing your favourite juice, say pineapple or orange, with this recipe and make the cocktail that’s just right for you.
- You can also try your favourite fruit syrup, say ¼ oz of grenadine which is pomegranate syrup or orgeat (almond syrup) to make the cocktail more interesting.
- Using Demerara syrup as the sweetener instead of simple syrup can introduce an additional depth of flavour on the drink.
- Many bartenders and cocktail lovers experiment with different syrups in this recipe. Try experimenting with 0.25 oz – 0.5 oz of grenadine syrup or falernum to add nuances to your Planter’s Punch.
- An allspice dram is spiced liqueur flavoured with allspice berries. Try adding ¼ ounce of St. Elizabeth’s Allspice dram and see the magic.