Rhubarb Margaritas are perfect for your spring and summer seasons. This fruity variation of the original margarita cocktail is sweet, tart and delicious ruby-red in color. This version of the drink uses Rhubarb syrup along with classic margarita ingredients.
KNOW MORE ABOUT RHUBARB
Don’t know much about rhubarb? Don’t worry, we’re here to help. Rhubarbs are technically vegetables but are sold and consumed as fruits. They’ve single stalks which are red in color with one big leaf over its head. You would not want to taste that leaf! Only the stalks of this plant are consumed and not the leaf because of the high concentration of the poisonous oxalic acid in it.
- 2-4 Rhubarb Stalks
- Water – 1 cup
- Sugar – ½ tablespoon
- Tequila – 1½ ounces or 44 ml
(Choose a good blanco or reposado from our wide range of tequila recommendations)
- Triple Sec – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Lime Juice – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Lime slices for garnish
Preparing the rhubarb syrup :
- Heat the chopped rhubarb stalks with water,sugar and a pinch of salt in a pan until it comes to boil and the rhubarb releases its juices.
- Simmer the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Heat for 10 more minutes.
- Strain the syrup with a mesh sieve into a container.
- Properly squeeze the rhubarb pulp on the sieve to extract the remaining juice.
- Refrigerate the rhubarb syrup before using.
The cocktail :
- Add Rhubarb syrup, tequila, triple sec and lime juice with some ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake properly and fine strain into a salt rimmed margarita glass. To know more about the salty rim, check out the original recipe.
- Add some ice cubes and garnish with lemon slices.
ADDITIONAL TIPS :
- If you prefer your Rhubarb Margaritas even sweeter, you can also add a little agave or maple syrup while making the rhubarb syrup.
- The leftover Rhubarb pulp can be used to garnish your pastries, pies, cookies and cakes. It will give them a beautiful red topping and add to its flavors.
- Strawberries and Rhubarbs :
Strawberries and Rhubarbs are a popular combination. Strawberry’s sweetness balances the Rhubarb’s tartness and sourness. Add some strawberries while making the syrup and see the difference for yourself!
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes