Want to know why?
Because vodka, fresh grapefruit juice and salt lick on the rim of your glass in unison make one of the most balanced cocktails that exist.
The Salty Dog recipe is very simple with just 2 ingredients. You don’t even need a shaker to make it. And salt and grapefruit together manage to give a sense of freshness that makes this drink perfect for summers!
The secret to making a fantastic Salty Dog is using good ingredients. If you can get hold of Sicilian grapefruits, get them even if you have to shell out a few dollars more. They are renowned for their sweetness and good quality. Note that we are looking for the juice from them to be both sweet and sour.
Tip: If you want you can also replace vodka with tequila for a more aromatic and intense cocktail. Tequila in combination with salt and grapefruit it becomes a flavor bomb!
Recommended Recipe: Learn how to make a Mai Tai, a very famous fruity rum based drink
Salty Dog Cocktail
- 40 ml of vodka
- 100 ml fresh grapefruit juice
- ice cubes
- Take an old fashioned glass and wet its edge with lemon. If you are pressing grapefruit for its juice, then use the grapefruit to wet the edge.
- Spread some salt on a plate, and plate the wet glass edge on the salt so that it sticks. You may have to rotate the glass to create an even salt crust.
- Shake the glass gently to remove any excess salt.
- Pour the vodka and juice into a shaker, shake for 10 seconds.
- Put some cubes in the old fashioned glass and strain in the cocktail.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge and maybe a sprig of rosemary.
Which Vodka to Use
Greyhound Drink Variations
The Salty Dog is simply a Greyhound cocktail variation.Would you like to try out other similar cocktails?
More Savory Cocktail Recipes