Every season is margarita season. There is a unique punch of this cocktail for every unique occasion. If you want to start with the fruity variations of margarita, we suggest starting with Strawberry Margarita. As the name suggests, it’s the magic of the sweet red berries added to classic lime margarita, which generally has no sugar in it. It’s easy and simple to make yet overwhelmingly refreshing. Strawberries bring in the juiciness and the eye catching red color to this classic cocktail.
A strawberry margarita is only 5 simple ingredients away:
- Strawberries (fresh/frozen)
- Tequila – 1 ½ ounces or 44ml
( Use good quality blanco or reposado tequilas. Check out our wide range of tequila recommendations to make your pick.)
- Triple Sec – 1 ounce or 30ml
- Lime Juice – 1 ounce or 30ml
- Ice cubes and Margarita salt
- Simple/Agave syrup – optional
A strawberry margarita generally has a frosty texture to it because of the frozen strawberries and the ice that goes in. However, the cocktail can be served frozen as well as on the rocks.
Here’s how you can have it the way you like:
- Throw all the ingredients mentioned above in the blender. Blend them together until they are fully combined and form a smooth cream.
- For the frozen texture – add more ice and blend less, so as to achieve that icy frosty texture to it.
- For the juicy version – blend for a few more minutes so you can get a juicy, less frosty drink which is still as delicious. You can skim off the little froth that swims over the surface.
- Strain in a coupé glass with salty rim.
- Add a straw. You may garnish the drink with mint or lemon wedges or use a paper umbrella instead to make it look more fancy.
If you prefer making your drink without a blender, then :
- Muddle the berries in the bottom of a cocktail shaker until the juice is extracted and a thick slurry is formed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and fill the shaker with ¾th ice.
- Shake until its completely mixed. Fine strain in coupé glass.
- You may add more ice if you wish to and use strawberry seeds to garnish the drink.
- WHICH KIND OF STRAWBERRY TO USE – You can definitely use frozen strawberries for this recipe. The good thing that comes with it is that you’re ever so ready with it. You’ve got guests, blend in those frozen berries and bring the party to life. Using fresh strawberries is equally good. However, you must remember to wash them properly before putting them to use and with unfrozen berries, expect the drink to have a more juice like texture.
- THE AGAVE/SIMPLE SYRUP – We’ve mentioned above that this is an optional ingredient. When you use frozen berries, the cold can make the flavors a little numb. So in that case, you can add the syrup to make sure to add a little more sweetness to the drink.
- TEQUILA – Your cocktail is only as good as the alcohol you use. So, don’t compromise on the quality of tequila and prefer buying at least mid-range tequilas. A Blanco or a reposado will make the fruity flavors burst like anything.
Swap Rum for Tequila to make Strawberry Daiquiri
If you wish to have a daiquiri instead of a margarita, simply substitute rum for tequila.
There is not one answer for which rum to use for your daiquiri, the taste of your daiquiri will vary as per the quality of rum you used. Just combine your strawberries, lime, simple syrup and rum with ice and enjoy!
If you don’t have a blender or want a shaken daiquiri, simply muddle your berries in a cocktail shaker until good amount of juice is released. Then, add your rum, lime juice, simple syrup and ice and shake well. Finally, fine strain into a glass and garnish with strawberries .
And so you have your fresh summer drink ready for you. Whether you are planning for a pool party, a day out on the beach, or looking for just a happy hour drink, this fruity punch to the classic cocktail has got your covered.
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes