Tommy’s Margarita is quickly becoming the most popular version of the drink in the 21st century. If you’re one of the margarita perfectionists, this one might take you a little by storm. Unlike the original margarita recipe, Tommy’s Margarita omits the triple sec or the orange liqueur and uses agave nectar instead.
THE HISTORY OF TOMMY’S MARGARITA
Tommy’s Margarita was invented by Julio Bermejo at his family restaurant, Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco in the 1990s. It is interesting to note that before Julio arrived to take up the job at his family restaurant, the orange liqueur had already been omitted from the recipe of margaritas served there and simple syrup was being used instead. It was, however, Julio’s idea to replace the agave syrup for the simple syrup. His version of the drink used the agave nectar, which came from the same plant as tequila and fresh lime juice instead of sour mixes. Even the salt rim was deemed unnecessary and eliminated in his version.
Today, Bermejo is widely regarded as a tequila expert with Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant being named in Top 50 bars in the world.
- Tequila – ½ ounce or 44 ml
( We suggest either Blanco or reposado tequila)
- Lime Juice – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Agave nectar – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Lemon slices
- Using lemon juice, wet the rim of your margarita glass with salt.
- Put the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into a glass.
- Add more ice and garnish with lemon slices.
Tequila Recommendations :
Confused among the endless brands of tequila available out there? We’ll help you choose the one for you. For starters, Julio Bermejo has oftentimes recommended Espolòn Reposado Tequila or Arette Tequila Reposado for this recipe. Along with this one, we list some more recommendations which will add the perfect tequila magic to your cocktail :
- Espolòn Reposado Tequila – $26.99
- Arette Tequila Reposado – $29.99
- El Jimador Reposado – $22.65
- Mi Campo Blanco Tequila – $24.19
- Arette Blanco Tequila – $25.99
- Maestro Dobel Silver – $40.99
- Tromba Reposado Tequila – $43.67
- Tequila Ocho – $48.59
- Casamigos Añejo Tequila – $59.99
The above pricings are for 750 ml capacity. You can also check out the original margarita recipe for an even wider range of tequila recommendations.
If you wish to have a glimpse of the original Tommy’s Margarita, you can visit Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco. If that seems like a bit of a task, well you know now how to make your own. Cheers!
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes