Honestly, more than the heat and stickiness, it’s the first bite of a watermelon that announces the arrival of summers. We bring you another fruity variation to the classic margarita cocktail – the juicy Watermelon margarita. The juicy pulp of watermelon adds layers of sweetness and tartness to the drink. The drink’s lovely pinkish red color is a treat to the eyes, refreshing and soothing you not only through its flavors but through its appearance as well.
- Frozen/Fresh Watermelon
- Tequila – 1½ ounces or 44 ml
(Blanco or reposado tequilas are what we suggest)
- Triple Sec – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Lime juice – 1 ounce or 30 ml
- Ice cubes
- Watermelon slices for garnish
- Salt and lime juice for the rim
Using a blender :
- If you don’t have frozen watermelon chunks, slicing the fresh watermelon and using them will work just fine.
- Put the watermelon chunks with all the other ingredients – the tequila, triple sec, lime juice and a little ice in a blender.
- Blend until its completely combined and desired consistency is attained.
- Strain the drink into a salt-rimmed margarita glass. Check out the original recipe to know more about the salty-rim.
- Garnish with mint and lime slices.
Without using a blender :
- Pour some watermelon juice along with tequila, triple sec, lime juice and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake the ingredients well.
- Fine strain the drink into a salt rimmed margarita glass.
- Add more ice to serve it on the rocks.
- Add mint and lime slices to garnish.
Tequila Recommendations :
Remember the golden rule? The quality of your cocktail will be only as good as the quality of the tequila you use. We recommend using the following tequilas, all 750 ml pricings, to make sure your watermelon margaritas have rich, deep flavors.
Pocket friendly brands :
- Cazadores Tequila Blanco – $25.99
- Olmeca Altos Plata – $ 26.98
- Espolòn Tequila Blanco – $26.99
- Milagro Silver Tequila – $29.99
For those of you who may find the above tequilas to be a little sharp in taste and prefer smoother, more premium tequilas, we recommend :
- Herradura Silver Tequila – $42.99
- El Rayo Plata – $48.11
- Casamigos Blanco – $49.99
- Siembra Valles Blanco – $49.99
- Código Rosa Blanco Tequila – $65.00
Choosing the right Watermelon :
A good fruity tequila depends on the quality and freshness of the fruit. When selecting a watermelon for your drink, look for the yellow spots which signify that the fruit is ripe. The watermelon should feel nice and heavy for its size. If a knock on its underbelly produces a hollow sound, it means the fruit is full of juice. Always remember, a ripen watermelon will have a stem which is brown in color, the green stem signifies that its yet to ripen. Keep in mind to choose a juicy watermelon with nice shades of yellow to its stripes and rind.
Additional Tips :
- Using a blender with frozen watermelon will provide a frosty texture to the drink while using the watermelon juice in a cocktail shaker will have more of a juice like texture to it.
- Mint goes very well with the sweetness of the drink and adds layers of freshness to it. Using mint leaves to garnish the drink is a great idea!
- The salt on the rim will add a zing to the watermelon’s sweetness and provide a taste that will last long on your taste buds after the first sip.
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes